Odyssey of the Mind
is an international educational program that provides creative problem-solving opportunities for students from kindergarten through college. Team members apply their creativity to solve problems that range from building structures or mechanical devices to presenting their own interpretation of literary classics. They then bring their solutions to competition on the local, state, and World level. Thousands of teams from throughout the U.S. and from about 25 other countries participate in the program.
Odyssey of the Mind succeeds through parents acting as coaches that guide the teams through the initial brain storming through the completing the final adjustments to their presentation. While parents are a vital component to Odyssey of the Mind, it is the students that shape and direct the course of their final presentation.
In the Odyssey of the Mind . . .
- Students develop team-building skills by working in groups of as many as seven students per team.
- Students learn to examine problems and to identify the real challenge without limiting the possible solutions and their potential success.
- The creative-thinking process is nurtured and developed as a problem-solving tool.
- Students of all types will find something that will appeal to them.
- The fun of participation leads to an elevated interest in regular classroom curricula.
- Teachers have a program to further provide students with a well-rounded education.
Proctor Terrace has teams for every grade level participating in Odyssey of the Mind. The teams will be competing in the Redwood Regional Tournament on Saturday March 8th at Santa Rosa High School. Come out and support our teams!
For more information about Odyssey of the Mind, check out the following links:
Redwood Chapter: http://www.redwoodootm.org
California State Odyssey of the Mind: http://www.Calomer.org
Entire United States: http://www.odysseyofthemind.com/
Click here for the form to particiate!